Guano - Chimborazo 1/3
archaeology ecuador archaeological sites ecuador cochasqui ecuador archaeology archeology archeological sites ecuador cochasqui ruins ecuador ruins ecuador guano mummy
The Chimborazo province has an area of 6.495 square kilometers, divided into 10 cantons. One of them is the Guano canton, characterized by trade, the production of handicrafts, natural attractions and cultural manifestations of the Andean ethnic groups.
PHOTO CREDIT: viajando por ecuador

In Guano canton, in the head parish, Guano town, is the archaeological site La Asunción. Located in the heart of the town of Guano, the archaeological space consists of historic ruins of the Church of La Asunción de Guano. Of the millennial Church are preserved only three bodies of walls of 8 meters. This walls was part of a temple formed by a long nave, also consists of a rectangular floor of 8.60 meters wide and 62.50 meters long.

 

The Church of La Asunción was built by the Franciscan religious order along with Guano indigenous, approximately in the year 1572, when the Spaniards evangelized Puruhá culture and other native communities of the sector.

 

The Franciscan religious took advantage of indigenous labor of Guano and began the construction of the Church and the convent before 1560. It’s considered, in the form of assumption, that the space of the Church was occupied by the chiefs of the place who "donated" the land.

 

The great convent of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción and its church had had an apse or dome grounded by a wide stone wall of semicircular form, while at the other end, the main facade was built projected towards the South. The Church had three main gates; the baptistery had a large holy water stoup which was in the South-Eastern part. The floors were of brick, while the courtyards were paved. The facade had false windows in which were placed sculptures of stone belonging to religious figures. It is also known that there were arches on whose surface were painted religious images.

Historical documents consider the Church was made of lime and pebble with tile cover. Its walls were constructed of stone with mortar of lime and sand, and the facade must have been carved stone.

 

The ruins of this church are part of the end of the 16th century remains. Later was built a monastery and a cemetery. The earthquake of August 5, 1949, significantly shook the canton of Guano and devastated the religious building. It was in rubble.

Page 1/3 | Next >>

quito hotel ecuador hotel

 

Q restaurante plaza foch