immigration ecuador visas ecuador hotels ecuador

Due to the continuous migration flow from one country to another and the great migratory movement that Ecuador has at present, the legislation has created rules according to this new reality.


You have to know this

In the case of Ecuador, all foreigners living in the country are overseen according to the rules of ‘Ley de Extranjería’. This one establishes the different types of visas and benefits that foreigners have in Ecuador.


One duty the foreigner has is to participate each year in a mandatory census, done by the migration police. In case of not doing it, you will face several types of penalties and fines. The document obtained from this census is requested to carry out for legal, banking, lawful procedures, etc.


If you want to travel to Ecuador you must know that the country requests two types of visas for foreigners. Depending on the case, you must have the non-migrant visa or the immigrant visa.


According to the rules of ‘Ley de Extranjería’ which supervises the Ecuador immigrant movement, immigrant is any foreigner who enters the country legally in order to settle and develop activities that are allowed by law. “No-migrant foreigner” is the one who reaches Ecuador without the intention of settling, so her/his stay is temporary.


Depending on whether the traveler is immigrant or non-immigrant, there are different visas in relation to the previous concepts. Immigration visas are known as ‘Tipo 9’. These are given to people interested in investing in financial institutions or real estate; for professionals and relatives of Ecuadorian citizens.


Visas of no-immigration are visas ‘Tipo 12’. These are given to diplomatic or consular officials and members of their families, displaced persons, students, religious and missionaries.


‘Ley de Extranjería’ establishes that if your stay has more than 30 days since the arrival in the country, the migrant must enroll in the Chancellery foreign registration.


These are some paperwork and certificates that must be taken into account if you are a foreigner and live or want to settle in Ecuador, here are the options:


• Certificates of ‘no naturalización’ (it means you don’t have Ecuadorian nationality) in Ecuador
• Ecuadorian nationality by marriage
• Refugees naturalization (When refugees are given Ecuadorian nationality)
• Obtaining the Ecuadorian citizenship by naturalization
• Work Visa
• Visa for NGOs and other
• Visa application for asylum and refuge
• Passer-by visa
• Visas for cultural exchange


These ones and other documents can be downloaded from the website of the consulate of Ecuador.


For the supervision of immigrant matters, Dirección General de Extranjería del Ministerio de Gobierno is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of these regulations as well as the legal proceedings concerning to this subject. This is the institution you have to visit if you want to settle in Ecuador.


With regard to non-immigrant foreigners, the institution responsible for legalize their stay and provide the necessary information on the concerning legal processes is the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores.


For more information you can contact:

Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, Comercio e Integración
Adress: Carrión E1-76 and 10 de Agosto Avenue, Quito - Ecuador
Telephones: (593 2) 299-3200 /(593 2) 299-3200
Website: Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, Comercio e Integración


You have to know this


Be update before moving to Ecuador, preferably in the embassy or consulate of Ecuador in your country.


There are two types of visas for foreigners who come to Ecuador: as a migrant, and as non-migrant.


As a foreigner, in Ecuador you are legally protected by Ley de Extranjería, a legal framework established by the recent Constitution of 2008.

quito hotel ecuador hotel


Q restaurante plaza foch